Have you been rummaging through your closet for hours just to look for something to wear?
Most people think that more clothes they have, the easier it is for them to dress up in the morning. But as you may have experienced, having too many clothes in your closet only makesdressing up even harder. Besides, having too many clothes can cloud your sense of style. You can get overwhelmed when you have a ton of choices to make when it comes to your clothes, and end up wearing what feels “safe.”
On the other hand, having fewer clothes means having fewer choices. The fewer choices you have, the easier it is to decide what to wear. Having fewer clothes also allows you to be more organized with your wardrobe. It’s more fun, too, because you get to be creative with mixing and matching the clothes that you have.
So how do you free yourself from the tyranny of choices so you don’t waste time in the morning thinking about what to wear?
First Things First: Edit Your Closet
Take some time this weekend and do an inventory of your wardrobe. Decide which pieces of clothing you want to let go.Get rid of clothes that:
- Do not fit you right now. Stop holding on to clothes that you think will fit you someday.
- Are NOT age-appropriate.
- You hate wearing. If you don’t love it, get rid of it!
- Badly need mending or those that have factory defects.
- Are out of season. You don’t need a sundress during winter or a winter coat when it’s summer. If you think you’ll need these clothing items later, you can always stow them away somewhere else.
- Are out of style. You’ll have to wait a decade or two before they become retro and cool again.
This all boils down to keeping the clothes you can wear in your closet and throwing out those you can’t.No excuses.When in doubt, throw it out! Give those clothes to charity or anyone who might appreciate them.